Monday, May 26, 2014

Epilog: Why Tijuana?

Why do 26 people--most of them Catholics-- spend at least $800 to fly 1,300 miles, sleep in chilly bunk beds, and sweat under the Mexican sun,  to construct a tiny home in a marginal neighborhood that's not even an afterthought in a border town of 1.6 million people?

They just do.

As I was waking up this Monday morning and Memorial Day, some words came back to me from a poem I read back in my youth, when I was a Christian -- a Methodist, no less. I think I read it in Reader's Digest or some other schmaltzy periodical that was popular in the 1960s. It was written by Meade McGuire, a long-since forgotten 7th Day Adventist minister, who was apparently inspired by the Victorious Life Conferences held in the United States a century ago.

I'm printing it here in honor of the givers I've had the pleasure of observing in Peru, Cambodia, and now, Mexico:

Father, where shall I work today?
And my love flowed warm and free.
Then He pointed out a tiny spot
And said, “Tend that for me.”
I answered quickly, “Oh no; not that!
Why, no one would ever see,
No matter how well my work was done;
Not that little place for me.”
And the word He spoke, it was not stern;
He answered me tenderly:
“Ah, little one, search that heart of thine.
Art thou working for them or for me?
Nazareth was a little place,
And so was Galilee.”
Love,
Robert

Note: This blog is independent of any organization; errors, omissions, exaggerations and misinterpretations are solely the responsibility of the author.

2 comments:

  1. Why do people do this kind of thing? I suspect that, if asked, each of them would say something slightly different about the reason "why." But scratch the surface, dig a little deeper, and the real reason will emerge. It's called love. It is what motivates almost all people who give their precious time in service to others. It's a calling that emerges from the heart. It allows us to express our common humanity in a way that putting a check in a basket or in the mail cannot. I like to think we all come from love and will eventually return to it. In between we find reasons to give it and also get what it has to give back to us. So maybe, just maybe, love does make the world go around. It may sound corny, but love is the gift we give...and the gift we get in return. That's a darn good exchange! Thanks Robert, for the gift of yourself to the people who will always benefit from your generous heart and this beautifully rendered story told through your words and photos.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert, THIS INDEED WAS AND IS SUCH A GIFT. I hope you will be able to return with us in 2015~ Jan

    ReplyDelete